Good morning.. I feel like writing. Not sure, what to write about.. but I just feel like writing. I mean, I just wrote a press release for our next book launch. But I wouldn’t call that writing. It was 1 hour of struggle with forced words from your head.
Now blogging is different. Blogging is overflowing words from your heart. Words, that you never told anyone. It’s yours to hold. Your secret. But now that I have told you.. it’s no longer a secret. Rather a ‘shared’ secret.
Ok, that wasn’t necessary. Just some sort of attention grabbing, to keep you reading more.
Anyway, let’s talk about social network. Let’s talk about facebook. About the ‘type’ of people you find in facebook. And this is carefully based on my observation and it is thoroughly general.. never directed to anyone. So please, hold your bullets.
- First, you have the kind of users who tells you everything and anything there is to tell about their life. Including, what time they ate, where to went to shower.. there is an update every 5 minutes
- Then, you have the one who thinks it is really cool to spell “is” as “iz” …or “this” as “thiz”.. What’s worst is that there is always some grammatical errors. But of course, you must hold yourself back, because you don’t know if they were typing real fast, or really can’t spell.
- Then there are the dramatic people. The ones that have this urgent rage that uses all the ‘holy’ words in the world.. and is constantly filled with anger. It is somewhat entertaining to watch “I don’t know who u r..bt im gonna find u. Coz ur mezzing wit da wrong guyz!”… lol.. The comments after that, are also rather epic!
- Then you have the extreme emo-sified users. The ones that go, “No one understands me… Maybe its better if I wasn’t born…” The ones who hate about everything in their life. Things get a lot worse, when they are going through a break up! My goodness.. need I say more? And with that, you have a series of emo quotes, and pictures shared on their profile. Well, good thing, you get entertained too.
- Then you have the wanna be’s.. The ones that have a ‘car’ as their profile picture.. or the picture of an actor/actress. No offence, but being in Malaysia, usually Indian actors and actresses are the target. And this kinda users somehow uses something else as their real name. Makes you think, “Dude, what is wrong with your face?” Sorry, listening to Red.fm’s “Dude, where’s my car..” really got into me.
- Then you have the ‘stalkers!” ..hehe. Ok fine. We are all stalkers at some point..especially when it is your crush. You just have to know EVERYTHING about this person kan? lol.. But the extreme stalkers are the ones who just watch without commenting or liking.. but they don’t post anything.
- Then you have this person who comments and likes everything that’s there. Why? I have no idea. But somehow their name will be on your notification, or your friends notification.
- Then you have the attention seekers. The ones that are constantly posting pictures.. Pictures of what they eat, what they wear. They also usually take pictures of themselves and post it up. Probably to see how many likes they can get. It’s rather misleading when you see the caption, “I look really ugly” …Err. No offence. But if it is ugly, why post it?
- Then you have the game addicts. The ones who has played every single game in facebook. And is sending you request after request. Their whole page might be filled with “can you please help me send some lives?” Now, Candy Crush is out of the question. Whoever invented Candy Crush, simply knows how to mess with your head and lets you know that it is completely alright to be ‘messed’ up. LOL.
I can go on and on. But the thing with social network, is that everyone’s life become so public. . Don’t you think, that is rather sad? There’s no privacy. When there is no privacy, it loses the very beauty and uniqueness of YOUR life. Because, somehow, facebook encourages everyone to wear a mask. To hide behind the screen. To suppress the real desires of your heart and succumb to the needs of the world.
What’s worst, is when facebook breaks a relationship rather than mending them. A status posted in anger, are words that you can never take back. Instead of healing wounds, it adds salt. And from there, it leads to worst scenarios.
Why do we have this need to tell everyone about everything that is happening in our life? Or be someone we are not, just to fit in the society? Why is it very important to get attention from others? Could it because we don’t get attention from the people we really want, that we turn to strangers to fill in that empty-ness? Well, why the urgent need to be connected with an unreal world, when there is a real beautiful world, that is waiting for your attention?
Sad to see, everywhere you go people are constantly glancing through their phones. That if you took away their phone, they will be restless and disoriented. That it has come to a point, where we are so dependent on technology, we can no longer be happy without it.
And I used to be like that. I used to be a complete facebook addict. But not anymore. Something changed. And I like that change. I really do.
It is possible.. When you dwell in wisdom and maturity. You can. Of course, no doubt facebook is an amazing and a brilliant social network that creates lasting friendship. Just use it wisely.